Innovating Through Design Thinking
Apply the power of design thinking for business growth
An organization’s ability to innovate – whether it's creating seamless and enjoyable customer journeys, radically new products and services, or breakthrough business models – is critical to long-term success. Innovation is about solving important, challenging problems in creative and value-creating ways. Design thinking is a practical toolkit for innovation that anyone can learn and apply. Innovating through design thinking represents a structured, human-centered method for creatively solving complex problems that inspire and delight users. In this program, you will learn the core principles and tools of design thinking and how to apply them across your organization to help it innovate and grow.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Discover design thinking and the types of problems it helps solve
- Develop an empathetic mindset – understanding the problem from the user’s perspective
- Generate deep insights to reframe your understanding of the problem
- Apply ideation – rapid generation and refinement of concepts for solutions
- Move from concepts to potential solutions by prototyping
- Learn to test and validate solutions through the design thinking process
This program is designed for managers, executives, engineers, and entrepreneurs who need a toolkit for innovation. Participants will learn how to provide more impactful, advanced, and sustainable solutions to complex problems in the business world.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, a comprehensive workbook, results-oriented exercises, seminar supplies, meal service (breakfast, lunch and breaks) and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute.
Topics covered during the program
- Core elements of design thinking
- When is design thinking useful
- Three Types of Challenges for innovation
- Insights from Extreme users
- Customer personas
- Distribution of ideas
Problems amenable to design thinking
Divergent and Convergent Thinking
- A toolkit for innovative ideas
- Generating tools and approaches for properly testing and exploring ideas before investing too many resources
- Evaluation criteria
- IDEO Design thinking framework
- Understand user’s POV: Immerse, Observe, Engage
- Solving the wrong problems precisely
- Seeing through new eyes
- Finalizing your action plan to implement on the job
The Design Thinking Process
Taking Action: A Personal Plan for your Design Thinking challenge
This program has been approved for 13 CPD hours under Section A of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA).