Essential Management Skills — Online
Enable your transition to a management role
This program is an essential must for new or developing managers who wish to acquire successful practices in managing people and handling on-the-job challenges. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of what makes an effective manager, from developing positive relationships, exercising team leadership and motivating people to setting performance expectations and coaching staff to empower growth.
This flagship course boasts thousands of graduates and is a compulsory training step for recently appointed managers in many organizations.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Develop a broad understanding of managerial concepts, techniques and decision-making skills
- Practice implementing the key functions of a manager through hands-on exercises
- Increase your ability to motivate and engage others
- Examine proven tools to set and manage performance expectations
- Learn to create and maintain effective collaboration and teamwork
- Discover ways to work through difficult conversations and discipline issues
This seminar is designed for all newly appointed managers, supervisors or project leaders as well as those with up to five years of management experience. It is particularly helpful to professionals with several years of technical expertise who have been promoted into management or team leader positions. The concepts and examples are relevant to all functional areas including finance, production, marketing, sales, human resources and information technology.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, comprehensive digital workbooks, results-oriented exercises, and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute.
Topics covered during the program
- Program introduction
- The role of management
- The transition from doing to managing
- Leadership: Opportunities for future growth
- Workplace trends and challenges facing managers
- Defining the principles of effective communication
- Communicating with diplomacy, tact and credibility
- Identifying and flexing your communication style (self-assessment)
- Applying effective communication strategies and techniques
- Identifying the needs of a diverse workforce
- Understanding the factors that influence retention and increase engagement
- Applying effective talent management strategies to the different generations at work
- Sharing best practices of innovative and productive workplaces
- Creating relationships based on trust, collaboration and accountability
- Guiding individuals to work towards a common goal
- Dealing with the barriers to effective teamwork
- Getting your teams to become self-directed and autonomous
- Evaluating team performance
- Planning for performance
- Aligning objectives with your company’s business goals
- Establishing performance standards
- Developing performance objectives and work plans
- Monitoring and reviewing results
- Providing feedback
- Diagnosing and dealing with performance gaps and taking corrective action
- Technologies for giving and receiving feedback
- Interacting with a diverse and dispersed workforce
The Online Experience
- Flexible Format; Featuring a combination of live instructor-led sessions and self-paced, on-demand learning, content is time released to allow for the best real-time application and transfer of new skills, tools and frameworks.
- Action-Learning Approach; Content, activities and experiences are relevant and immediately applicable to your day-to-day back at work.
- Enriched Curriculum; New multimedia content created and curated to align with different learning styles.