Essential Management Skills — Online
Enable your transition to a management role
This program is essential for new and developing managers who wish to acquire best practices for success in managing people and handling on-the-job challenges. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of what makes an eﬀective manager, from developing positive relationships or exercising team leadership and motivating people to setting performance expectations and coaching staﬀ to empower growth.
This flagship course boasts thousands of graduates and is a compulsory training step for recently appointed managers in many organizations.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Develop a broad understanding of managerial concepts, techniques, and decision-making skills
- Practice implementing the key functions of a manager through hands-on exercises
- Increase your ability to motivate and engage others
- Examine proven tools to set and manage performance expectations
- Learn to build and maintain eﬀective collaboration and teamwork
- Discover ways to work through difficult conversations and discipline issues
This seminar is designed for all newly appointed managers, supervisors or project leaders as well as those with up to five years’ management experience. It is particularly helpful to professionals with several years’ technical expertise who have been promoted to management or team leader positions. The concepts and examples are relevant to all functional areas.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, comprehensive workbooks, results-oriented exercises, seminar supplies, meal service (breakfast, lunch and breaks), and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute.
Topics covered during the program
- Program introduction
- Role of management
- Transition from doing to managing
- Leadership – opportunities for future growth
- Workplace trends and challenges facing managers
- Define the principles of eﬀective communication
- Communicate with diplomacy, tact, and credibility
- Identify and flex your communication style (self-assessment)
- Apply eﬀective communication strategies and techniques
- Identify the needs of a diverse workforce
- Understand factors that influence retention and increase engagement
- Apply eﬀective talent management strategies on a multi-generational level
- Share best practices of innovative and productive workplaces
- Create relationships based on trust, collaboration, and accountability
- Guide individuals to work toward a common goal
- Deal with barriers to eﬀective teamwork
- Help your teams to become self-directed and autonomous
- Evaluate team performance
- Plan for performance
- Align objectives with your company’s business goals
- Establish performance standards
- Develop performance objectives and work plans
- Monitor and review results
- Provide feedback
- Diagnose and deal with performance gaps; take corrective action
- Technologies for giving and receiving feedback
- nteracting with a diverse and dispersed workforce
The Online Experience
- Flexible Format; Featuring a combination of live instructor-led sessions and self-paced, on-demand learning, content is time released to allow for the best real-time application and transfer of new skills, tools and frameworks.
- Action-Learning Approach; Content, activities and experiences are relevant and immediately applicable to your day-to-day back at work.
- Enriched Curriculum; New multimedia content created and curated to align with different learning styles.