Strategic Problem Solving
Critical skills for organizational success
Of all the skills needed to succeed in work and life, research shows that complex problem solving is at or near the top. But for most of us, solving difficult problems and selling the solutions doesn’t come naturally.
In this engaging and highly-interactive seminar, world-renowned strategy professor, and Associate Dean Corey Phelps shows you how to become a better problem solver and solution seller. Based on his widely-acclaimed book – Cracked It! How to Solve Big Problems and Sell Solutions Like Top Strategy Consultants (co-authored with Bernard Garrette and Olivier Sibony) – Corey guides you through each step in the 4S method: from how to state, structure and solve problems to how to sell the solutions.
During the seminar, you will apply the method and toolkit to a pressing organizational problem you face. You will leave with a greatly-improved understanding of how you can create value by helping your organization crack the problems that matter the most.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Understand how to overcome the cognitive biases and pitfalls of problem solving
- Develop the discipline and confidence to tackle difficult problems outside your expertise
- How to define problems using the TOSCA framework
- How to structure a problem
- How to solve problems deductively using an analytics approach
- An overview of design thinking
- Developing a persuasive report or presentation to sell the solution
This program is designed for managers, executives, engineers, and entrepreneurs who need a toolkit for innovation. Participants will learn how to provide more impactful, advanced, and sustainable solutions to complex problems in the business world.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, a comprehensive workbook, results-oriented exercises, seminar supplies, meal service (breakfast, lunch and breaks) and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute.
Topics covered during the program
- The power and pitfalls of problem solving
- Introduction to the 4S method
- Using TOSCA to state the problem
- Problem statement exercise
- Problem structuring with issue trees
- Problem structuring with hypothesis pyramids
- Problem structuring exercise
- Prioritizing potential solutions
- Solution prioritization exercise
- Solution analysis planning
- Solution analysis exercise
- A brief foray into design thinking
- Selling with the pyramid principle
- Alternative pyramid constructions
- Solution selling exercise: pitch construction
This program has been approved for 13 CPD hours under Section A of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA).