Navigating Workplace Conflict
Essentials for a healthy work environment
Research in Organizational Psychology shows that leaders spend at least 20% of their time managing conflict with many reporting upwards of 60-70%. Although conflicts have always been an integral part of life in organizations, they are becoming more pervasive and the costs, both human and financial, are escalating.
This workshop provides participants with the knowledge, skills and strategies to better prevent or handle conflict constructively. By gaining an understanding of what conflict is and how it emerges, participants will begin to understand the costs and benefits of conflict in organizations. Next, participants will explore and become more aware of their own responses to conflict and practice strategies for managing conflict on individual and team levels. Participants will leave with an action plan for applying conflict resolution processes within their organization.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Describe the defining elements of conflicts
- Recognize the costs of conflict that is mismanaged or not dealt with at all
- Take a step back to understand sources of conflict so better decisions can be made
- Explore how culture affects how stakeholders deal with conflict
- Appreciate how to build trust as well as how it deteriorates
- Understand the role of emotions in conflict and how to use them positively
- Deploy positive as opposed to destructive responses to conflict
- Act as a mediator or facilitator when team conflict occurs
This program is designed for professionals and managers at any level, including executives, project managers, supervisors, and team leaders. It is particularly useful for anyone moving into a new position and indispensable for human resource professionals.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, a comprehensive workbook, results-oriented exercises, seminar supplies, meal service (breakfast, lunch and breaks) and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute.
Please note that following customer suggestions to go paperless for convenience and sustainability, program materials will be supplied in a downloadable soft copy only for all programs of the 1-day Series.
Topics covered during the program
- What is conflict
- Task & relationship conflict
- Causes of organizational conflict
- Costs of unproductive conflict
- Benefits of conflict
- Destructive and constructive responses to conflict
- How conflict escalates and ways to defuse it
- The role of emotions in conflict
- Understanding trust – how it deteriorates and how to build it
- Giving and receiving feedback
- An approach to having difficult conversations
- The role of the fundamental attribution error
- Stages of team development
- Creating a team charter
- Communication within the team
This program has been approved for 6.5 CPD hours under Section A of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA).