Executive Development Course (EDC) — Online
Mini-MBA for changing times
This flagship program condenses key topics from leading MBA and EMBA courses and is designed to boost your career success through a comprehensive understanding of the pillars of business: strategy, marketing, finance, negotiations and people skills.
The Executive Development Course (EDC) - Online is a 12 week program, featuring an immersive interactive suite of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (self-paced) components, seamlessly delivered via a user-friendly, collaborative platform.
As the “rules of the game” are changing in almost every functional area of an organization, this learning experience offers timely exposure to new techniques, tools and trends. Launched in 1949, this is Canada’s top concise management program with hundreds of participants graduating each year.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Capture key learning points from an MBA without the time and cost burden
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of core management functions and how they intermix
- Receive a toolkit of insights, skills and best practices for an immediate impact on the job
- Examine best practices in leadership, engagement and coaching employees to reach their potential
- Improve your ability to think strategically, understand where to go, and implement plans to get there
- Sharpen your financial literacy in order to make quality management decisions
- Understand the facets of marketing excellence, raising awareness and creating value
- Practice negotiation techniques to achieve successful, win-win outcomes
- Connect with an exceptional peer group from diverse backgrounds
This program is valuable for those in corporate, government and nonprofit sectors who want to be at their best, but haven’t had time for a full MBA or EMBA program. It also represents an opportunity for those considering an MBA who wish to “test the water” before making the full cost and time commitment. It is perfect for managers who have had exposure to one functional area and plan to move into general management responsibilities.
The registration fee includes facilitation by our highly-rated faculty members, comprehensive digital workbooks, results-oriented exercises and a certificate of completion from the McGill Executive Institute. Ask us how you could qualify for a special Mini-MBA Series Certificate.
Topics covered during the program
- Performing industry analysis
- Building competitive advantage
- Creating alignment in your organization
- Leveraging future trends in your industry
- Competing for the future
- Team-building and networking
- Managing for high performance
- Coaching and mentoring
- Dealing with conflicts
- Being an effective leader
- Accounting concepts
- Financial statement analysis
- The balance sheet: Assets, liabilities, equity
- Income and retained earnings statements
- Statement of changes in financial position
- Behaviour of direct, indirect, fixed and variable costs
- Break-even analysis
- Allocation of costs
- Relevant costs for decision-making
- Economic value-added
- Capital budgeting (long-term investment decisions)
- Negotiating successfully: fundamental tools and approaches
- Preparing for negotiations
- Understanding the stages of negotiations
- Knowing when and how to share strategic information
- Negotiating in teams
- Market research
- Segmentation and targeting
- Positioning and customer knowledge
- Product and service line management
- Communications and distribution channels
- Customer experience management
The Online Experience
- Flexible Format; (120 min. modules; total of 6-8 hours per week); content is time released and stretched out over time to allow for application and transfer of new skills, tools and frameworks for best outcome.
- Action-Learning Approach; Content, activities and experiences are relevant and immediately applicable to your day-to-day back at work.
- Enriched Curriculum; new multimedia content created and curated to align with different learning styles.
- Access to Alumni Network; the program fosters connection and engagement with a global peer community and program alumni.